Home > Recipes > Main Course
Thai Coconut Pancakes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
We know you loved your trip to Thailand and, more so, relishing its delicacies. This exquisite yet simple Thai Coconut Pancakes recipe will bring back the whiffs and aromas from the streets of Thailand straight to your kitchen.
- 500 ml coconut milk
- ½ cup coconut (shredded)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup oil
- 1 ½ tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup maple syrup
Take a trip back to coconut heaven in 20 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, coconut oil, and sugar and whisk until smooth. Now add coconut milk and shredded coconut and whisk again until the contents are well mixed.
- Now add flour, baking powder, and salt to the mixture, stirring continuously till all the contents are combined and no lumps remain.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on high heat and add oil. Lower the heat to medium and pour ½ to ¼ cup of batter (depending on what size you want). If need be, tilt the pan to spread the batter evenly.
- Flip the pancake once tiny bubbles appear at the sides to cook the other side. Set it aside when done. Add more oil to the pan before cooking the next pancake, or it will stick. Cook all the pancakes, arrange on a serving plate, and bon appetit.
Chef Tip: Add some coconut milk to the maple syrup and mix well until smooth for an even better coconut flavor. Pour over your pancakes while they’re piping hot.
Light, fluffy, flavorsome! Gorge on them, and you’ll straight up land in the lovely coconut heaven called Thailand.
• The name of the dish ‘Khanom Krok’ means ‘snack mortar.’ Since a mortar isn’t used in the recipe- it is said that it describes the bowl shape of the pancake.
• The dish was well known since the Ayutthaya period. And at that time was the beginning of a heating mantle- a hot indented frying pan.
• Each serving of the dish contains 418 calories, 61g carbs, 17g fat, and 5g proteins.- and it burns the calories, one needs 1 hour of cycling, 42 minutes of running, and 2.5 hours of cleaning.