Home > Recipes > Sub Recipes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
The creamy, homemade coconut milk is made with just 2 ingredients.
- 2.5 cups grated fresh coconut or unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 to 4 cups water at room temperature
How to make Coconut Milk at home?
- Take all the grated coconut in a blender jar, add 1 cup of water and blend on high till the coconut is ground well.
- Strain in a cheesecloth or a fine sieve and collect the extract in a bowl or a pan.
- Then collect and put back the coconut residue into the blender and add 1 cup of water and blend again.
- Strain and collect this coconut milk in another bowl.
- Put back the coconut gratings again in the blender and add 1 cup of water to blend again.
- Strain for the third time and collect coconut milk together.
- Your coconut milk is ready. You can use it fresh or refrigerate it for 6 months.
Chef Tip: If using unsweetened shredded coconut, then it would be best to soak the coconut in warm water for a few hours and then blend.
So now that you know the recipe of fresh coconut milk, you can add this to mango milkshake or banana milkshake for richness and flavor.
- Falling coconuts kill 150 people every year- 10 times the number of people killed by sharks.
- Sinbad the Sailor sold coconuts on his fifth voyage, as told in the tale of the Arabian Nights.
- History has that coconuts originally come from India and Southeast Asia but because they float, were carried to coastlines all over the Pacific Ocean and successfully made their homes in all the subtropical places they could find.
- Coconut grenades were a weapon used in WW II by the Japanese in which a coconut was filled with items most importantly a grenade, and thrown at the enemy.
- Some studies suggest that drinking coconut milk may help to keep you mentally focused.
- A diet rich in coconut milk may also help to stave off anemia. That’s because the milk has plenty of iron, which can help you maintain a healthy level of red blood cells.