Home > Recipes > Sub Recipes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
A thin, flavorful flour tortilla is super-easy to make and can be used for many dishes. Use this amazing flour tortilla recipe to make the perfect, soft, and tender tortillas for your burritos, tacos, and quesadillas. You can even use it to make thin pizza crusts!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1.5 cups water
The Best Homemade Flour Tortilla
- Whisk all the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Add the lard and mix with your fingers. Add water and mix everything to form a dough. You can now shift to a flat surface with sprinkled flour and knead for a few minutes. Now divide the dough into 24 equal pieces with a knife. Roll them up to make small balls.
- Set the flame on medium-high and heat your skillet. Flour up your rolling pin and roll your dough to form thin tortillas. Make sure that they are round on the edges. Put it on the heated skillet. Let it cook till bubbles rise. Flip it and let both the sides become golden brown. Similarly, you can make all the flour tortillas of the remaining dough. Put them on a warm cloth to stack them up.
Chef Tip: Once you have made the dough, let it sit for a while and then divide it into pieces. This will make the dough softer, and hence, easier to roll the tortillas. Try to roll the tortillas as thin and evenly so that they cook soft and tender.
How to make the most of this quick and easy flour tortilla recipe? Use them to make the best sandwiches and wraps. A healthy and tasteful recipe for all your cravings. Try it now!
- The wheat flour tortilla is the fastest growing product not only in the tortilla category but in the entire grain products industry.
- In the year 2000, the US tortilla-based industry was worth a whopping 4 billion dollars, and in the year 2015, tortillas outsold white bread!
- The earliest traces of tortillas discovered date back to 10,000 BC and were made of maize (or corn) with dried kernels.
- On April 22, 1519, when Spaniards led by Hernando Cortes arrived in what is now Mexico, they discovered that the inhabitants i.e., the Aztecs and native Mexicans made flat maize bread.
- 100g of tortilla contains around 218 calories.
- The flour tortilla is a good source of protein, fiber, B-Vitamins, and iron.